Saturday, January 28, 2012

Doctor Who: A New Obsession

*** WARNING: contains some spoilers! Be warned! ***

Hello all! It's been a while! There really wasn't much to discuss about Harry Potter this holiday season. The only news I have personally, is that for Christmas I got LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 for Wii, and the complete 8-disk collection of Harry Potter DVDs! I ordered them the DAY BEFORE they left store shelves. I still find it completely ridiculous that they did that, but what can you do?! Anyways, i'm here to talk to you today about sometime new in my life, that I now hold very dear, and that is Doctor Who.

I have pretty much known about Doctor Who for a few years now, but being in the U.S. I wasn't too educated about it, and I didn't think i'd ever be able to catch up to the current season. Over this past summer (2011) however, my sister and I started watching it from the beginning. That summer I watched pretty much all of seasons 1 and 2 and some of season 3 of the new series that started with Christopher Eccleston. I really liked it, but I wasn't obsessed with it yet, and I had a lot more to do that summer than just watch Doctor Who. Then I moved to college and kind of forgot about it. Over this Winter break, however, a Whovian party was hosted at my house, and I didn't know half of the characters there that people were dressed up as. At that moment I pledged to catch up and watch every episode of Doctor Who. So I finished season 3 and watched pretty much all of season 4 over break.

When I got back to school, I watched season 5 in its entirety in two days flat. All of this has been on Netflix up until now, by the way. Then I got to the most current season, season 6, that aired in 2011. That is not on Netflix yet, so I bought it on iTunes and watched it in another two days flat. I also watched the 2011 Christmas special at a friend's house over break. Needless to say, I've had my fair share of Doctor Who over these past two months, and I love it! It has filled my Harry Potter void, and I can't wait for the new season to come out in April I believe!

This brings me to discussion of the Doctors. I started with Christopher Eccleston, and he was alright, but not my favorite. He didn't last that long either, which was sad. Next was David Tennant, who lasted three entire seasons! He has been my favorite for so long because he is just so brilliant! I just love his acting, and his personality as the Doctor. He is so emotional about alien invasions and you can see the pure agony in his face when there are casualties because of him.

This leads me to the companions. First there's Rose, who was there for a long time. I liked her, a little better with Tennant than with Eccleston, but I'm still not sure how I feel about their romantic relationship. How she leaves is really sad, but I always felt that she got into too much trouble, and the Doctor was always saving her. Next is Martha. I always thought that Martha was too independent and strong willed to be a good companion, which is why she leaves so soon and gets that secret agent job or what not. Then there's Donna, who is my favorite companion of Tennant I think! At first I absolutely hated her, especially when she first appears in her wedding episode. After she comes back, though, I began to love her! She is so strong willed and matches the Doctor's attitude perfectly. Also, I freaking LOVE her grandpa! How she leaves is absolutely one of the most depressing moments in Doctor Who. Ever. Period. I literally cried.

The only thing that can top Donna's departure is David Tennant's departure as the Doctor. "The End of Time" double feature episode left me sobbing! It was just so heartbreaking. So then we were left with goofy Matt Smith entering the picture. At first I didn't like him at all, but then I actually started watching him, and now I love him! The only down side to him is that I feel that he is less emotional than Tennant was, and is way more okay with killing aliens than any other Doctor has been. His goofy attitude goes too far sometimes. However, I do love his personality, and the quirkiness that he adds to the role. Just his outfit is absolutely ridiculous, but perfect at the same time! A tweed jacket, bow tie, and a fez? Seriously? Haha!

Now to talk about his companions. So far, Smith has only had Amy Pond and Rory Williams. I love Amy's story, and I think Rory is really cute and nerdy. The episodes were pretty good in season 5. I love the progression of Amy and Rory's relationship, and how at the end she has never ending devotion to him because of what has happened and what they have been through together. Young Amy is so cute! "The Eleventh Hour" is still one of my favorites of the season!

Then there's season 6, which also brings me to River Song. Let me just start by saying that season 6 was absolutely spectacular, and was a real roller coaster ride! Although there are many questions and problems I have with it, that is easily balanced out by the incredible writing of Steven Moffat! Anyways, so River Song is first introduced in season 4 in "Silence in the Library" with David Tennant. When I first saw her, I thought it was sad that she died, but I didn't really think much of it because we really didn't know anything about her besides the fact that she was supposedly really important to the Doctor in the future. Then she returns twice in season 5, and she's still really ambiguous, but now she's flaunting all this knowledge she has, can fly the TARDIS, and speaks to the Doctor like she's his wife (spoiler! ;) haha) and I started to not really like her. Then in season 6, her identity is finally revealed, and I pretty much like her now. I still can't quite see the romantic relationship between her and the Doctor, but what can you do? Also, all of my questions have still definitely not been answered yet. There are a bunch of parts in "A Good Man Goes to War" when she reveals who she is that I don't understand and have questions about. Perhaps they will be answered in season 7, but we won't know until it comes out. One last thing though, I think Alex Kingston is a brilliant actress, and plays the role very well! I'm just still coming to terms with that fact that she pretty much has the Doctor on a leash.

Overall, I am now obsessed with Doctor Who. That's pretty much the extent to what I was trying to portray in this blog post. Sorry if you hate Doctor Who or thought this was long or boring. I just wanted to write this. So, please comment and let me know if you watch and like Doctor Who, who your favorite Doctor and companion are! :)

-Danielle

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of Doctor Who!! I joined in a couple months back and I am hooked!! I got my boyfriend drawn in to it as well. I'm glad I finally got myself to start the series after knowing about it for so long.

    My boyfriend and I didn't like Eccleston at all but I loved Tennant. But you also have to love Matt Smith for his goofiness.
    I had mixed feelings with Rose especially towards the end. Just something about her. Donna drove me insane at first but she grew on me a tad bit.
    I love Amy Pond she's brilliant and works perfectly with Smith.
    I am going crazy waiting for the new season! I keep checking up on the BBCAmerica website on news :)

    ReplyDelete